Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) is a policy that allows students to bring and use their own
personal electronic devices at school. Devices include but may not be limited to: computing
devices such as laptops (ChromeBooks, MacBooks) With teacher approval, students may use
their devices in the classroom to access and save information from the Internet, collaborate with
other learners, and utilize productivity tools available to them.
The Hillcrest BYOD program is designed to help students keep up with the demands of the 21st
Century. Helping students become responsible digital citizens will enhance not only what we do
in the classroom, but also give students authentic experiences to build their 21st Century skills
(collaboration, creativity, communication and critical thinking) to prepare them for college and
Bring Your Own Device
￼Our district offers filtered wireless access. Hillcrest students in grades 4-8 may bring a supported
￼personal computing device (ChromeBooks) to school for educational purposes with teacher
￼approval. While at school, students are required to connect to OUSD’s filtered Wi-Fi connection
￼to ensure access to the best online resources
When using their device, students need to expand the concept of their school community to the
community they will be interacting with online. Appropriate use of devices and rules concerning
devices apply from the time the student leaves for school until the time they arrive home.
Devices may not be used to disrupt the educational environment or violate the rights of others.
Using the device to cheat, violate school conduct rules, harass/bully students or staff, or using
the device for unlawful purposes will subject the student to disciplinary action.
Responsibility for Devices
- The electronic devices that students bring to school are their sole responsibility.
- The campus or district assumes no responsibility for personal devices if they are lost,
loaned, damaged, or stolen. Only limited resources will be spent to locate lost or stolen
- Students are expected to keep their devices secure at all times and not loan to others.
- Students are expected to bring a charged device every time the device is needed at
- Students are expected to appropriate carry their devices from class to class in an
- Students are expected to use their devices during class instruction time. No device usage
during lunch or recess.
- Students are expected to exhibit digital responsibility and follow the terms in both the
OUSD policy and student technology use behavior contract.
- Use of technology is a privilege, not a right. This privilege can be revoked.